Remember Why You Started
When I was tasked with getting a journal to take to Baja California, I looked for something that would be a nice size, not too compact, and not too big. Check. One that ideally was spiral-bound and sturdy, because ain't nobody got time for their notebooks falling apart mid-trip. Check. When I found what would become my notebook, though, I honestly had eyes for just one thing.
IT HAD A CACTUS ON IT.
It might seem silly, but I instantly fell in love with the cover of this notebook. I never thought I would be all about a cactus, but from the little I knew of where I was going, I knew there would be cacti (now I'm getting plural!), and I was ready for it. Sure, it met what I was looking for in a functional sense, but I admit I had high standards for this notebook. I knew we would become very close over the course of my time in Baja, and it had to be the right fit. And it was - because before I could add any of my own words to its blank pages, it already had 4 very important ones for me.
Remember Why You Started.
Such a simple phrase - one that could mean any number of things. But it spoke to my heart in a way that said... when you journey along this path, you will encounter many things still unknown. Amazing. Life-changing. And maybe sometimes hard. No matter where you go, what you see, how you grow, when you weep...
Remember Why You Started.
You see, I knew that Baja was truly the beginning of this next chapter of my life. Grad school is something I never truly aimed for, but in chasing what I was passionate about, it found me. Project Dragonfly came into my life at a time where I needed an outlet to let my passion for conservation and education run wild. To discover my place in all of that, and what that means in my life as a person, professional, and human being on this planet. And so, I embarked on an incredible adventure.
![]() |
| Photo Credit: www.amazon.com |
I have always been someone who is intent on, and often anxious about, the destination. And yet, I have always yearned to enjoy the journey, and live fully in the moment. It's not easy. Life is constantly on the go. It's the way of the world these days, it seems.
What I didn't realize, bag in hand and backpack on for my 2 week getaway, is that I would truly find myself in Baja, and come back a changed person. That I would learn to be present, and the peace that it brought me.
| Orlando International Airport - all ready to go! |
Baja was nothing short of incredible. In 9 days, I learned and lived among two beautiful ecosystems where it seemed like time stood still. I never knew the desert could be so beautiful and full of life. And so, I journaled about it. I hiked up rocky paths to watch the sunrise over the cacti-covered mountains, and could see so many stars in the night sky that they almost blended together. I saw the Milky Way. I lay in my cot every night at Rancho San Gregorio and watched the moon rise slowly over the mountain. I watched hummingbirds flit by, and scorpions and bats come out to hunt at night. I wanted to capture these moments, so I pulled out my journal. And I wrote, and even drew pictures.
I learned how to conduct field methods on both land and sea, where I could wonder, “Why?” and investigate it. There is an awesome power in inquiry that goes far beyond what it means to learn about science (Myers, Myers, & Hudson, 2009). The ability to explore the questions you have by truly participating in answering them is how you learn about the world (Myers et al., 2009).
|
In the Sea of Cortez, I learned how to snorkel, thanks to Meghann Mcdonald (Director of the Vermilion Sea Institute) who is actually the Little Mermaid. She taught me how to find my inner mermaid self, and I got to explore a whole different world beneath the waves. I stepped outside of my comfort zone time, and time again, and was rewarded with some of the best experiences I could only discover there.
| Snorkeling in the Sea of Cortez. Photo Credit: Cari Camizzi |
Late at night when the tide went out in front of the Vermilion Sea Institute, I stepped carefully among the rocks and just stopped - and observed SO many fish and crustaceans. Life I surely would not have noticed if I had carried on my way.
| I miss this view every single day. Take me back! |
I woke up to the most beautiful sunrises with a cool breeze on my face, and saw whales for the first time in my life. I was even lucky enough to not only see, but swim with whale sharks - the largest species of fish in the world! Scientists have learned a lot about the habits and geographic ranges of these amazing animals thanks to a database where people can upload pictures of whale sharks they encountered (Citizen Science Aids Global Shark Research, 2018).
| Whale Shark!! (insert scream face) I plan to submit this picture as part of the citizen science project. |
I embarked on this journey with 21+ classmates, instructors, and in-country partners, and can confidently say I came back with true friends, and a Baja family. We learned and laughed together, and bonded in such a way I never could have imagined.
| Rancho San Gregorio - on the way down the mountain after our 4:30 AM hike. I love these people. |
| Bueno Bars are life - it's a Baja thing! |
| Van life. Best life. |
![]() |
| Hiking in the VizcaĆno Desert, high above Rancho San Gregorio. Incredible. Photo Credit: Alex Ruger |
And so, I wrote about it all. Whether perched on a rock with the sun blazing high above, or on the shore of the Sea of Cortez, I pulled out my journal to capture the moments I wanted to remember forever. Moments that, even in the act of writing them, were enjoyed far greater by just being mindful, and at peace with myself. Being present.
I wanted to start my journey in Project Dragonfly with a journal that already saw my heart. It holds some of my dearest memories. It has also given me a confidence and peace that I will continue to take with me as I am present for all of the memories to come.
I remember it now and I will remember it again.
References:
Citizen Science Aids Global Shark Research. (2018, February). OceanResearch. Sea Technology, 59(2), 42-43.
Myers, C., Myers, L.B., & Hudson, R. (2009). Science is not a spectator sport: Three principles from 15 years of Project Dragonfly. In R. Yager (Ed.), Inquiry: The key to exemplary science (pp. 29- 40). Arlington, Virginia: NSTA Press.



Comments
Post a Comment